In Boston there’s only one thing that has a higher population than Red Sox fans. And no, it’s not the amount of bad drivers… It’s college students scouting for internships. This winter, like thousands of students in the city of Boston, I came to the realization that I was about to finish my second year and needed to get started on the internship search.
My first thought: How the hell do I get an internship?
The process of crafting a resume and cover letter is exhausting, especially when you have to make five different versions to fit the different internships you’re applying to (and on top of that: the mountains of studying you have to do during the school year!)
And since I have been through this grueling process I’ve collected my favorite sources JUST FOR YOU!
Tips for Cover Letters:
- This Business Insider video + article is wicked helpful: http://www.businessinsider.com/only-things-you-need-include-your-cover-letter-2016-3
- And this article also from Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-write-the-perfect-cover-letter-2014-4
- This article really helped me brainstorm how I could make my cover letters unique: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/student-loans/expert-advice-8-tips-writing-standout-cover-letter/
Tips for Resumes:
- AMAZING ADVICE for us gals writing resumes for media + communications internships/jobs : http://www.blueskyresumes.com/free-resume-help/article/5-tips-for-media-and-communication-resumes/
- Here are tips for college students from Monster: http://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/resume-tips-for-college-students
Some places you can browse for Internships:
- Twitter: @InternBoston & @MA_Internships
- And don’t forget to search out specific organizations and look at their career pages for possible internships!
Happy hunting PR Gals!